Do not seek correction of personal information through the procedures described below. To seek correction of information related to individual records, benefits, or earnings, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 or contact us.
OMB Section 515 Information Quality Guidelines
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued government-wide guidelines under section 515 of the Treasury and General Government Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2001.
- Are intended to ensure and maximize the quality, objectivity, utility and integrity of information disseminated by Federal agencies
- Direct each Federal agency to issue its own information quality guidelines
- Require each agency to establish procedures that allow people to seek correction of information disseminated by the agency on or after October 1, 2002, that is subject to section 515 and which does not comply with the agency or OMB guidelines.
SSA Section 515 Information Quality Guidelines
These guidelines conform to the guidance, scope of applicability, and intent of the guidelines issued by the OMB.
What's NOT covered under section 515 information quality guidelines
Information that is NOT subject to the Information Quality Guidelines includes:
- personal information received as a result of agency adjudicative decisions, such as notices
- program publications that explain benefit programs and how to apply for benefits, such as pamphlets
- information about individual Social Security records
If the information you want to correct falls into any of the categories listed above, or in any way involves the status of your benefits, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 or contact us.
Other Excluded Information
- procedural and policy manuals, and other information pertaining to basic Agency operations
- management information that is produced primarily for internal use
- research reports clearly identified as not representing SSA positions, whether prepared by SSA staff or grantees whose research we funded.
What IS covered under section 515 information quality guidelines
Information that IS subject to the Information Quality Guidelines includes:
- statistical or actuarial information prepared for public dissemination
- reports, studies and summaries prepared to inform the public about the impact of Social Security programs or for use in formulating broad program policy.
How to seek corrections under section 515 information quality guidelines
If you want to seek correction of information from us that is subject to section 515 Information Quality Guidelines, please follow the procedure for seeking correction of SSA information.
OMB Bulletin for Peer Review
On January 14, 2005 OMB issued the Bulletin for Peer Review which establishes that important scientific information shall be peer reviewed by qualified specialists before it is disseminated by the Federal government.
SSA Implementation of the Bulletin for Peer Review
Status of Social Security Administration review of its dissemination of information subject to the Bulletin for Peer Review.