PRESUMPTIVE ELIGIBILITY FOR FAMILY PLANNING SERVICES
Sec. 1920C. [42 U.S.C. 1396r–1c] (a) State Option.—State plan approved under section 1902 may provide for making medical assistance available to an individual described in section 1902(ii) (relating to individuals who meet certain income eligibility standard) during a presumptive eligibility period. In the case of an individual described in section 1902(ii), such medical assistance shall be limited to family planning services and supplies described in 1905(a)(4)(C) and, at the State’s option, medical diagnosis and treatment services that are provided in conjunction with a family planning service in a family planning setting.
(b) Definitions.—For purposes of this section:
(1) Presumptive eligibility period.—The term “presumptive eligibility period” means, with respect to an individual described in subsection (a), the period that—
(B) ends with (and includes) the earlier of—
(i) the day on which a determination is made with respect to the eligibility of such individual for services under the State plan; or
(ii) in the case of such an individual who does not file an application by the last day of the month following the month during which the entity makes the determination referred to in subparagraph (A), such last day.
(2) Qualified entity.—
(A) In general.—Subject to subparagraph (B), the term “qualified entity” means any entity that—
(i) is eligible for payments under a State plan approved under this title; and
(ii) is determined by the State agency to be capable of making determinations of the type described in paragraph (1)(A).
(B) Rule of construction.—Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed as preventing a State from limiting the classes of entities that may become qualified entities in order to prevent fraud and abuse.
(1) In general.—The State agency shall provide qualified entities with—
(A) such forms as are necessary for an application to be made by an individual described in subsection (a) for medical assistance under the State plan; and
(B) information on how to assist such individuals in completing and filing such forms.
(2) Notification requirements.—A qualified entity that determines under subsection (b)(1)(A) that an individual described in subsection (a) is presumptively eligible for medical assistance under a State plan shall—
(A) notify the State agency of the determination within 5 working days after the date on which determination is made; and
(B) inform such individual at the time the determination is made that an application for medical assistance is required to be made by not later than the last day of the month following the month during which the determination is made.
(3) Application for medical assistance.—In the case of an individual described in subsection (a) who is determined by a qualified entity to be presumptively eligible for medical assistance under a State plan, the individual shall apply for medical assistance by not later than the last day of the month following the month during which the determination is made.
(d) Payment.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, medical assistance that—
(1) is furnished to an individual described in subsection (a)—
(A) during a presumptive eligibility period; and
(B) by a entity that is eligible for payments under the State plan; and