At a Ways and Means Social Security Subcommittee hearing entitled “Social Security Disability Fraud Scheme in New York,” January 16, 2014, the Chairman of the Subcommittee, Sam Johnson (R. TX), asked Acting Commissioner Colvin for a report on SSA’s efforts. Specifically, the Chairman said:
I would like a full report from you, Acting Commissioner Colvin, telling Congress the immediate actions you’re taking to prevent these crimes from occurring again and again, as well as any recommendations for legislation that might help you. I want this report within 30 days.
The requested report was delivered to Chairman Johnson on February 14th. A copy of the report can be found here.
- Preparing SSA officials to testify before Congress;
- Coordinating the development of legislative proposals designed to improve our programs;
- Developing SSA's regulations, Social Security Rulings, and Federal Register Notices; and
- Securing approval from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for SSA's collection of information from the public (through forms, applications, surveys, etc.).
This site provides information about SSA's legislative and regulatory programs, resources for legislative research, and copies of communication between SSA, Congress, and the public. This site includes:
- Written testimony of SSA officials before Congress;
- Legislative Bulletins (summaries of active legislation with provisions affecting our programs);
- SSA’s legislative packages approved by OMB;
- A regulatory process overview;
- SSA-related laws, reports to Congress, and program statistics.