Do not use SSNVS before hiring an employee.
- While the service is available to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify current or former employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.
- Social Security will review usage of SSNVS to ensure that employers are using it for the proper purposes.
Do not use SSNVS to take punitive action against an employee whose name and Social Security number do not match Social Security's records.
- A mismatch does not imply that the employer or the employee intentionally provided incorrect information.
- A mismatch does not make any statement about an employee's immigration status and is not a basis, in and of itself, for taking any adverse action against an employee. Doing so could subject you to anti-discrimination or labor law sanctions.
Third party use of SSNVS is strictly limited to organizations that contract with employers to either handle the wage reporting responsibilities or perform an administrative function directly related to annual wage reporting responsibilities of hired employees.
It is not proper to use SSNVS for non-wage reporting purposes, such as identity, credit checks, mortgage applications, etc.
Business Services Online (BSO)
Saturday: 5 AM - 11 PM ET
Sunday: 8 AM - 11:30 PM ET
About W-2 Filing
- Electronic W-2/W-2c Filing Handbook
- Vendor List
- Helpful Government Resources
- FIRE (1099) Filing Information Returns Electronically
- Employer W-2 Filing
W-2 Filing Assistance
- Checklist for W-2 Online Filing
- Specifications for Filing Forms W-2 and W-2c Electronically (EFW2/EFW2C)
- Paper Forms W-2 & Instructions
- If You're Self-Employed
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ask an Expert
- Tax Forums and Speaking Engagements
- Vendor List
- E-Verify - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Customer Support
- Employer Feedback