Apply for Disability Benefits
Social Security pays disability benefits to you and certain members of your family if you have worked long enough and have a medical condition that has prevented you from working or is expected to prevent you from working for at least 12 months or end in death. More...
Learn about how to apply online for disability benefits.
To apply for a child, please go to Applying for Disability Benefits for Children.
If You Already Receive Disability Benefits
- Online Services
- What you need to report to us
- Working while receiving benefits
- What You Need To Know When You Get Social Security Disability Benefits
(Publication No. 05-10153)
- Direct deposit
- Taxes and your benefits
- Living outside the U.S.
- What to do if you disagree with a decision we make
- What to do when someone dies
- 2012 schedule of payments
- 2013 schedule of payments
Learn About Disability Benefits
- Disability publications
- Adults disabled before age 22
- Disability Planner
- Information for Representatives
- Health Information from Department of Health and Human Services
- Prescription Drug Assistance Programs
- Health Benefits Under COBRA
What about SSI?
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pays benefits to disabled adults and children with limited income and resources.